Group Homes for Persons with
Developmental or Physical Disabilities Advisory Board
The name for this advisory board is the Group Homes for Persons with Developmental or Physical Disabilities Advisory Board.
The purpose of the board (as defined in Title 10 O.S. 1430.4) shall be to:
- Serve as an advisory body to the Department of Human Services for the development and improvement of services to and care and treatment of consumers of group homes subject to the provisions of the Act.
- Review, make recommendations regarding and approve in its advisory capacity the system of standards developed by the Department.
- Evaluate and review the standards, practices, and procedures of the Department regarding the administration and enforcement of the provisions of the Act.
- Serve as an advisory body to the Department of Human Services regarding the implementation of any nationally recognized accreditation standards, as they apply to community-based facilities and services adopted by the Commission as standards for the provision of services to people with developmental or physical disabilities who receive services through the Department; and
- Present any recommendations to the Oklahoma Commission for Human Services.
The advisory board shall be a nine-member board and shall be
composed as follows:
- The State Fire Marshal, or his/her representative;
- Eight (8) members appointed by the Director of the Department of Human Services with each serving a three (3) year term and may be reappointed:
- one representative of Oklahoma Community-based Providers, Inc.;
- one representative of United Cerebral Palsy of Oklahoma;
- one representative of the Oklahoma Planning Council for Developmental Disabilities who is not a state employee;
- two group home directors who have a minimum of two (2) years experience as a group home director;
- three consumers or consumer advocates: one (1) consumer advocate being a parent of a person who is developmentally disabled.
Any Board member who is absent for three (3) consecutive regular meetings, whether or not they send a representative, may be brought to the attention of the Director of the Department of Human Services and may be considered to have vacated his/her seat on the committee. A representative may attend the meeting but is a non-voting member and does not count toward the quorum.
- Meetings of the committee shall be held at least quarterly. Special meetings will be called with the approval of the chairperson when deemed necessary.
- Copies of the minutes of each meeting shall be provided to each Board member prior to the next regular meeting.
- Minutes of all meetings shall be made a part of the permanent files of the Department of Human Services, Developmental Disabilities Services Division.
- A quorum is required to transact business. A quorum shall be declared when at least 50% plus one member of the currently filled positions are present.
- Board members shall receive written notices of each regular or special meeting at least seven (7) days in advance.
- Members of the Board shall receive no compensation for their services, but will be reimbursed for necessary travel and other expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties in accordance with the Oklahoma State Travel Reimbursement Act, Title 74 O.S. 500.1-500.35 as amended.
- Officers of the Board shall be: chairperson, vice chairperson and Secretary.
- Officers shall be elected annually by the Board membership at its fall meeting and shall serve for one year.
- Members may serve in an office for a maximum of two consecutive one-year terms during each three (3) year appointment.
- The chairperson shall preside at all regular and special meetings and will confer with the Department of Human Services staff in preparation of an agenda; set dates of regular and special meetings; appoint members of special and ad hoc committees and serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
- The vice chairperson shall serve as acting chairperson in the event of the absence of the chairperson and perform other duties deemed appropriate by the chairperson.
- The secretary shall assist the staff of Developmental Disabilities Services Division who are assigned to the Board as necessary to assure efficient and effective functioning of the Board.
The Nominating Committee shall consist of three (3) members of the Group Home Advisory Board. The Nominating Committee shall nominate a slate of officers. The Nominating Committee shall notify potential officers of their nomination and receive the nominee’s approval prior to presenting the slate of officers to the general membership. At a minimum of 20 days prior to the fall meeting, the Nominating Committee should have met and presented in writing to the membership for consideration at least one (1) name for each of the three (3) elective offices. The nomination by the Nominating Committee will not preclude nominations from the floor or in any other customary manner.
DUTIES OF DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
Developmental Disabilities Services Division shall appoint a staff member to serve as liaison between Department of Human Services and the Group Homes for Persons with Developmental or Physical Disabilities Advisory Board; shall provide adequate staff support and assistance as necessary to assure efficient and effective functioning of the committee; shall provide space for meetings; and shall work with the chairperson in scheduling meetings as well as communicating with committee members. The Director of the Department of Human Services may assign other staff from appropriate divisions within the department to meet with the committee on an ongoing basis to provide information and support.
AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS
Amendments of these bylaws at any meeting shall require a vote of at least two-thirds of the committee membership, provided that at least 30 days notice stating the proposed amendment has been submitted in writing to the committee members. In addition the chairperson shall notify the Department of Human Services in writing of the proposed amendment(s) not less than 15 days prior to committee action regarding such amendment(s) are consistent with applicable laws, regulations, or policy determinations. Amendment(s) in conflict with laws, regulations or policy shall be null and void.
Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly revised, shall govern all meetings of the Board.
Chairperson, Division Administrator,
Group Homes for Persons with Developmental Disabilities
Developmental or Physical Services Division
Disabilities Advisory Board Department of Human Services