Oklahoma Department of Human Services
Sequoyah Memorial Office Building, 2400 N. Lincoln Blvd. • Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-3646 • Fax (405) 521-6684 • Internet: www.okdhs.org
Licensing Requirements

To order copies of these publications, please fax a request to the OKDHS Warehouse at (405) 962-1740. Please include the title of the publication, publication number and your mailing address. If you have any questions, contact Oklahoma Child Care Services at (405) 521-3561 or 1-800-347-2276.

Child Care Centers are facilities which provide care and supervision of children and which operate more than 30 hours a week. Centers providing drop-in services provide care for children on a drop-in basis and meet the needs of parents seeking occasional or part-time care.

 Licensing Requirements for Child Care Centers  (DHS Pub. No. 84-08)

Part-Day Children's Programs provide care and supervision, generally offering preschool or mother’s day out programs, for more than 15 hours and up to 30 hours a week.  

Licensing Requirements for Part-Day Children's Programs  (DHS Pub. No. 95-12) 

School Age Programs and Summer Day Camps provide care and supervision for school-age children, such as before-school and after-school programs, extended day programs, day camps, summer camps and summer park programs for more than 15 hours per week.

Licensing Requirements for School-Age Programs and Summer Day Camps (DHS Pub. No. 97-10) 


Family Child Care Homes offer care and supervision for up to 7 children in a family home. Large Child Care Homes offer care and supervision for 8 to 12 children and have more than 1 provider. 

Licensing Requirements for Family Child Care Homes and Large Child Care Homes  (DHS Pub. No. 86-104) 

Child Placing Agency means a private agency licensed to place children in foster family homes, adoptive homes or independent living programs. 

Licensing Requirements for Child Placing Agencies  (DHS Pub. No. 87-54) 


Residential Child Care Facility means a 24-hour residential group care facility with a large number of unrelated children living together with adults other than their parents. (Scroll to part 9). Children’s Shelter means a public or private residential program that provides care and supervision for children in a non-secure environment for a period of time usually not exceeding 30 days. The program provides services for children who are in need of temporary emergency care. (Scroll to part 8)

Licensing Requirements for Residential Child Care Facilities (DHS Pub. No. 86-78)

Other States
View child care regulations for other states

Last Updated:  8/11/2014