The purpose, function, and rules of the State Council on Aging (Council) are delineated in the Council bylaws. The bylaws provide that the Council advises the Aging Services Division (ASD) director on all matters pertaining to the development, implementation, and administration of ASD programs to assist ASD in identifying the needs and representing the interests of older persons.
(1) Over 50 percent of the Council must be 60 years of age or older, the remainder being representative of public and private service organizations or agencies.
(2) Meetings must be held at least monthly, but special meetings may be held if deemed necessary.
(3) ASD is responsible for providing staff assistance to the Council to ensure effective operation.
(4) Members are appointed by the Director of the Oklahoma Department of Human Services upon the recommendation of ASD, serve staggered terms of three years, and may be re-appointed for only one additional consecutive term.
- (5) Former members may be appointed following one year's absence from Council service.