1. Notification of appeal determination to person responsible for the child's health, safety, or welfare (PRFC).
(1) When to send notification of appeal determination to PRFC. The child welfare (CW) supervisor assures Forms 04KI019E, Notification Concerning Finding(s) of Child Abuse/Neglect, and 04KI020E, Request for Appeal of Substantiated Findings of Child Abuse or Neglect, are sent to each PRFC identified during the investigation, within 10 calendar days after an investigation with a substantiated finding is approved by the CW supervisor.
(2) How to send notification of appeal determination to the PRFC. KIDS generates Forms 04KI019E and 04KI020E. The address of the PRFC populates to Form 04KI019E designed to display the PRFC's address in a window envelope. Forms 04KI019E and 04KI020E are mailed.
2. Justification for not providing notification of appeal determination. Justification for not sending Forms 04KI019E and 04KI020E is documented in KIDS Contacts screens.
3. Response to appeal request from an Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) employee.
(1) In lieu of a review by the Appeals Program Unit, a DHS employee may request a review by programs staff comprised of a programs:
(B) manager; and
(C) field representative.
(2) Requests for review by programs staff is submitted in writing at the time of the appeal request.
4. Notification to Child Welfare Services (CWS) staff of appeal. When the Appeals Program Unit accepts a PRFC request for review, notification of the acceptance is provided to the previously assigned CW specialist, supervisor, district director, and regional deputy director who are advised of the need to ensure all necessary documentation was entered into KIDS referral and investigation screens and other supporting documentation is stored in the KIDS file cabinet.
5. Review procedure. The CWS Appeals Committee chair reviews the accepted appeal to determine whether the substantiated finding of abuse or neglect meets substantiation protocol per Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:75-3-120.
(1) The Committee chair makes a recommendation to uphold, modify, or reverse the original finding of abuse or neglect.
(2) The appeal is then reviewed by a program field representative of the Appeals Program Unit for concurrence.
(3) When there is nonconcurrence, the appeal is reviewed by the CWS Appeals Committee for final recommendation or final determination per OAC 340:75-3-530.
6. Final determination regarding investigation finding.
(1) The Appeals Program Unit notifies the appellant, district director, regional deputy director, CW specialist and supervisor, district attorney's office, and appropriate programs staff, such as Child Care Services and Child Protective Services (CPS) Programs Unit of the final determination regarding whether the substantiated finding is upheld or reversed.
(2) The CW specialist prints the final determination email, files the email in the CWS case record and, when applicable, in the resource record, and scans the email and stores it in the referral file cabinet.
7. Appeals committee composition. The Appeals Committee is comprised of:
(1) a Family-Centered Services (FCS) Program Unit program field representative who serves as the Appeals Committee chairperson;
(2) the FCS Appeals Programs Unit programs manager;
(3) the CPS Programs Unit programs manager or designee;
(4) a Continuous Quality Improvement Program Unit programs manager or designee; and
(5) a CW supervisor or other representative above the supervisor level from each region designated by the deputy director. The committee member:
(A) is designated as a rotating committee member; and
(B) does not vote on cases from his or her region to avoid potential conflict of interest.