(a) Corporal punishment, defined as the application of painful stimuli to the body as a penalty including, but not limited to, hitting, pinching, or other infliction of pain, is prohibited.
(b) The use of words, sounds, or other forms of communication to humiliate, intimidate, or cause fear, embarrassment, shame, or degradation to the person receiving services is prohibited, including shouting, screaming, swearing, name calling, threatening, making demeaning gestures, and any other activity damaging to a person's self-respect.
(c) Seclusion, defined as the placement of a person alone in a locked room, is prohibited.
(d) Totally enclosed cribs are prohibited.
(e) Persons receiving services do not discipline other people receiving services.
(f) Aversive conditioning procedures, such as the application of unpleasant, startling, or painful stimuli that have a potentially noxious effect, including shock, ammonia, or Tabasco sauce, are prohibited.
(g) Withholding meals, breaks, sleep, or the opportunity to maintain personal hygiene is prohibited.
(h) Involuntary forfeiture of money or personal property is prohibited.
(i) Physical restraint procedures are prohibited in community services.
(j) Use of exclusionary time out or time out rooms is prohibited, except by written permission of the director of the Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) for specific individuals residing at the Greer Center.
(k) Face-down physical restraint is prohibited.
(l) Mechanical restraints are prohibited, except as a medical restraint when absolutely necessary to promote healing or prevent injury during or following a medical procedure.
- (1) Medical mechanical restraints are prescribed by a physician.
- (2) Physician orders for medical mechanical restraints are time-limited to:
- (A) 12 hours for a person served in a resource center.
- (B) 12 hours in programs other than a resource center or the Greer Center, unless a longer period is authorized by the physician.
- (3) Use of mechanical restraints is reviewed by the DDSD registered nurse every 24 hours.
- (4) Exceptions to the policy regarding the use of mechanical restraints may only be approved in writing by the director of DDSD or designee following review and approval in accordance with OAC 340:100-3-14.