Households apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) using computer-generated Application for Low Income Home Energy Assistance or Form 08LH002E, Application for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) – Walk-In Application, with the exception of households that have been pre-authorized.
- (1) The computer-generated application is automatically mailed in November of each year for winter heating and June of each year for summer cooling to households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and State Supplemental Payment (SSP) at the time of the mailing. The household must complete, sign, and return the application prior to approval or denial. • 1
- (2) Households making an initial application for LIHEAP who are not receiving another benefit, require an "N" number. Households requiring an "N" number must apply for LIHEAP through their local human services center (HSC) using Form 08LH002E. • 1
- (3) Households applying for the Energy Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP), must complete, sign, and return Form 08LH002E regardless of other household benefits.
- (4) Certain households may be pre-authorized for the LIHEAP winter heating or summer cooling programs without filing an application. Prior to pre-authorizing benefits, the system checks the household's eligibility using pre-authorization guidelines per OAC 340:20-1-19 and 340:20-1-20.
- (5) A new application is not necessary when a worker is notified of a change of "service" address. The worker updates the address and vendor information on the case.
- (6) In order to ensure that payments are made to the correct energy supplier for gas and electricity, the household must provide the account name and number for the appropriate utility bill. For households using gas or electricity, it is necessary to see the household's most recent paid or unpaid bill or to obtain verification from the utility supplier. • 2