Oklahoma Department of Human Services
Sequoyah Memorial Office Building, 2400 N. Lincoln Blvd. • Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-3646 • Fax (405) 521-6684 • Internet: www.okdhs.org
Library: News Release

June 12, 2014

For Media Inquiries, Contact:

Customers wishing to apply for Summer Cooling Assistance, please contact your local DHS County Office

For Media Inquiries Only, Contact:
Mark K. Beutler, M.Ed. - DHS Office of Communications
(405) 522-3731, Fax: (405) 522-3146
e-mail: Mark.Beutler@okdhs.org

Summer Cooling Assistance Available for Low-Income Households

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A limited amount of summer cooling assistance funds will be made available across the state through the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which is administered through the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS).

The funds are designed to help low-income households that are extremely vulnerable to summer-heat stresses. DHS will begin taking applications Tuesday July 8, and will continue until all allocated funds are depleted. DHS has approximately $17 million in federal funds for this year’s Summer Cooling Program in Oklahoma.

Eligibility for LIHEAP is based on each household’s income and assets. If you or someone you know may be income eligible and are at risk for heat related health problems due to the inability to afford adequate cooling, you are encouraged to apply for the Summer Cooling Program available at your local DHS county office.

Many households that receive public assistance through DHS may be automatically authorized for summer cooling assistance and will not need to make application. Preauthorized households will be notified of their eligibility by letter prior to the beginning of the application period.

The anticipated benefit amounts are $200 for a one-person household, while a household of two or more may receive $250.  Only one payment per household is allowed annually for LIHEAP summer cooling assistance.


Size of Household Allowable Monthly Net Income


















Persons applying should have the latest electric bill for their home and verification of income information when they make application.  For more information, contact your local or county DHS office.


Last Updated:  7/8/2014