Oklahoma Department of Human Services
Sequoyah Memorial Office Building, 2400 N. Lincoln Blvd. • Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-3646 • Fax (405) 521-6684 • Internet: www.okdhs.org
Contact Us: Complaints and Grievances
Filing Complaints or Grievances...
Do you have a complaint about OKDHS services or want to file a grievance against the Department, but you not sure who to contact? The divisions and offices below can help record or investigate your complaints or grievances.
Office for Civil Rights

Contact the Civil Rights if you have concerns or wish to file a complaint in one of the following areas:


  • Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
  • Discrimination in client services
  • Discrimination in employment
  • Discrimination in vendor services
  • Sexual harassment
Long-term Care Ombudsman

Contact an Ombudsman supervisor if you have a complaint about resident's care or resident's rights in one of the following kinds of facilities:


  • Nursing home
  • Assisted living
  • Other similar long-term care facilities
Office of Client Advocacy

Contact Client Advocacy if you have concerns or wish to file a complaint in one of the following areas:


  • Minors in OKDHS custody
  • Youth in voluntary care of OKDHS
  • Foster parents
  • Hissom class members
  • Developmental Disabilities Services Division clients
Office of Information and Referral

Contact Information and Referral if you need general assistance with OKDHS programs and services, or you need assistance in filing a complaint

Last Updated:  2/6/2015