INSTRUCTIONS TO STAFF 340:75-1-240
1. (a) MSW degree scholarships. The Master of Social Work (MSW) degree scholarships are available only through the University of Oklahoma (OU) School of Social Work. Scholarships are limited to staff currently in or willing to transfer to Child Welfare (CW) and who are committed to a career in CW services. This program is made available through a cooperative effort between the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) and OU School of Social Work, which has the only MSW program in Oklahoma.
(1) Tuition payment is made directly to OU.
(2) Scholarships are restricted to the MSW degree only, as it is the preferred degree for social work positions.
(3) The scholarship program may be discontinued any time, based on unavailability of federal funds.
(4) To receive a scholarship, the employee signs a contract defining the employee's responsibilities and commitments.
(5) Employees who have a master's degree in psychology, sociology, juvenile justice, guidance and counseling, or a closely related field, are not eligible for the MSW scholarship.
(b) Partial scholarships.
(1) Financial support. Partial scholarships include tuition and books only and are awarded by OU.
(2) Award and obligation. Awards are for one year. Six months of service to CW is required per semester of scholarship support. Failure to complete the service requirement results in the repayment of tuition and books.
(3) Job placement. The employee remains in his or her current job assignment and attends school part-time during the first MSW year and full-time during the second MSW year. The second MSW year requires a full-time practicum that occurs within OKDHS at a job the employee has never held. The employee uses a combination of educational and annual leave to complete classes, per DHS:2-1-35 and DHS:2-1-42.
(4) Eligible employees. This program is open to CW staff only. Since the employee never actually leaves his or her job, relocation is not an issue.
(c) Application procedures.
(1) CFSD process. Each year, CFSD distributes a numbered memorandum announcing the scholarship program for that year along with selection criteria.
(2) School of Social Work process. Applying for the OU Graduate School and School of Social Work is the sole responsibility of the employee. OKDHS and CFSD are not involved in the selection of students admitted to the school.